Mindfulness is a practice that can be beneficial for people of all ages, but it is especially important for teenagers. They are going through a lot of changes and dealing with a lot of stress, so teaching them how to be mindful can help them navigate these difficult waters. In this blog post, we will discuss 20 different ways to teach mindfulness to teenagers. We will cover everything from meditation to yoga to breathing exercises. So whether you are a parent, teacher, or therapist, read on for some great ideas on how to help the teens in your life!
As you tach mindfulness to your teen you can use the guide below to also mention one of these important aspects of each way mindfulness can help us manage our lives in healthy ways. For example, you might simply remind your teenager to use their mindfulness when they brush their teeth. Ask them to remember to stay focused on nothing but brushing their teeth well and if they find they have slipped into thinking modes unrelated to brushing their teeth they can return to noticing their breathing and beginning again.
Remember the best time to remind a teenager to practice their mindfulness is when they are calm and in a good mood. For example, we can ask them to practice 2 minutes of mindfulness of breath while we are sitting at the table with them. Then we can follow up, by choosing one of the 20 ways to share mindfulness with teenagers, and simply chat about how a regular 2 to 5 minutes practice of mindfulness of breath can help them in this particular area of their lives.
20 ways to share mindfulness with teenagers
1. Teach them how to meditate. Meditation is a great way to help teens focus and calm their minds. There are many different ways to meditate, so find one that works best for your teen. You can have them sit in a comfortable position with their eyes closed and focus on their breath. Or you can have them listen to a guided meditation. There are also apps that can help with meditation.
2. Teach them how to do yoga. Yoga is another great way to help teens relax and focus. It can also help with strength, flexibility, and balance. There are many different types of yoga, so find one that your teen will enjoy. You can look for classes at a local studio or look for online options.
3. Teach them how to do breathing exercises. Breathing exercises are a great way to help teens calm down and relax. There are many different types of breathing exercises, so find one that works best for your teen. You can have them sit in a comfortable position and focus on their breath. Or you can have them do a more active breathing exercise such as the 4-7-8 method.
4. Teach them about journaling. When we journal we are in a mindful state. Journaling is a great way for teens to process their thoughts and emotions. It can also be used as a tool to help with stress management. Encourage your teen to write in a journal every day, or at least whenever they are feeling stressed or overwhelmed.
5. Teach them about healthy eating. Mindful eating can be a wonderful opportunity to encourage healthy eating. What we eat can have a big impact on our mood and energy levels. Help your teen make healthy food choices by teaching them about nutrition and encouraging them to eat plenty of fruits, vegetables, and whole grains.
6. Teach them about exercise. We can introduce conscious breathing to exercise as a way of practicing mindfulness. Exercise is a great way to boost our mood and energy levels. It can also help with stress management. Encourage your teen to get at least 30 minutes of exercise every day. This can be anything from going for a walk to playing a sport.
7. Teach them about getting enough sleep. A mindfulness practice can bring awareness to when we are tried; or when we are unconsciously resisting sleep needlessly. Sleep is important for our overall health and well-being. Help your teen make sure they are getting enough sleep by teaching them about the importance of sleep and encouraging them to establish a regular sleep schedule.
8. Teach them about mindful brushing. Brushing their teeth with mindfulness simply means paying attention to each brush stroke. This helps them slow down and ensures they are brushing correctly in order to maintain health oral hygiene. Mindful brushing prevents gum disease and therefore prevents loss of teeth in later years due to improper brushing.
9. Teach them about positive thinking. Mindfulness helps us tune into all the automatic thoughts that pop into our minds. Mindfulness also includes cultivating positive thinking styles to enhance flourishing. Our thoughts can have a big impact on our mood and energy levels. Help your teen stay positive by teaching them about the power of positive thinking and encouraging them to focus on the good in every situation.
10. Teach them about goal setting. Taking take out to mindfully goal set is so important in our fast pace worlds. Goal setting is a great way to help teens stay motivated and focused. Encourage your teen to set realistic goals for themselves and help them develop a plan to achieve those goals.
11. Teach them about time management. Mindfulness can help us notice when we are feeling time-pressure and also help us be more mindful of our time. Time management is an important skill for teens to learn. Help your teen make the most of their time by teaching them how to prioritise their tasks and manage their time wisely.
12. Teach them about decision making. Mindfulness can include the ability to practice contemplative thinking. Decision making is a skill that all teens need to learn. Help your teen make good decisions by teaching them how to weigh their options and choose the best course of action.
13. Teach them about conflict resolution. Mindfulness gives us the ability to respond, rather than react, which reduces the conflict in our lives. Conflict is a normal part of life, but it can be damaging if it’s not handled properly. Help your teen learn how to resolve conflicts constructively by teaching them communication and problem-solving skills.
14. Teach them about assertiveness. Mindfulness helps us get in touch with our own thoughts and emotions toward knowing what we want in life. Assertiveness is an important skill for teens to learn. It can help them communicate their needs and wants effectively, set boundaries, and stand up for themselves.
15. Teach them about stress management. Mindfulness reduces feelings of stress and is a pathway for consciously dealing with stress. Stress is a normal part of life, but it can be harmful if it’s not managed properly. Help your teen learn how to manage their stress by teaching them healthy coping skills such as deep breathing, relaxation techniques, and exercise.
16. Teach them about anger management. Thoughts and emotions have a 90 second life span, and only continue if we continue to feel that particular inner narrative. Our mindfulness practice brings awareness and control to what’s happening on the inside. Anger is a normal emotion, but it can be damaging if it’s not managed properly. Help your teen learn how to handle their anger in a healthy way by teaching them about the different types of anger and how to express it constructively.
17. Teach them about communication. Mindfulness is the perfect tool for healthy communication because it helps us slow down and respond rather than being overly emotional and reactive. Communication is a key skill for teens to learn. It can help them resolve conflicts, build relationships, and express their needs and wants effectively.
18. Teach them about empathy. Mindfulness helps us connect with others, rather than simply our own experiences. Empathy is the ability to understand and share the feelings of another person. Teaching your teen about empathy can help them build stronger relationships, resolve conflicts, and show compassion for others.
19. Teach them about problem-solving. Mindfulness can help us put things in perspective and slow down over-thinking, or ruminating. Problem-solving is a key skill for teens to learn. It can help them handle challenges in a constructive way and find creative solutions to difficult problems.
20. Teach them about mindfulness. Mindfulness is the practice of being present in the moment and aware of our thoughts, feelings, and surroundings. Teaching your teen about mindfulness can help them reduce stress, improve concentration, and find calm in the midst of chaos.
So there you have it – 20 ways to share mindfulness with teenagers! And of course, the best way we can encourage our teenagers to practice mindfulness is to set the example.
If you are a parent we offer an amazing online mindfulness course for parents to incorporate mindfulness and meditation into their lives, while also giving you the skills to share your knowledge with your children.
If you are a teacher we offer a wonderful online mindfulness for course for teachers. This course will provide you with everything you need to be an amazing mindfulness for children teacher, along with an internationally accredited certification as a Mindfulness For Children Practitioner. With this qualification you will be able to teach children of any age, and also receive ongoing support via our private community.
If you enjoyed 20 ways to share mindfulness with teenagers, you might also enjoy 14 breathing exercises for children – free printable.
We also offer lots of free advice on teaching mindfulness to children via our YouTube Channel
Thanks for reading and I hope this article has been helpful. Please don’t forget to share